This sweet and spicy coleslaw is packed with incredibly delicious, super fresh flavors! Asian-Style Basil Slaw is the perfect side for grilled meat, chicken or fish.Oh, and it’s just so pretty!
This is the slaw I whipped up for my husband’s birthday, to go with the Smoky Sweet and Spicy Pork Ribs. It was a perfect combination of flavors and textures. Perfect, I tell you! When I said “whipped up,” I meant it. Here’s the deal, you can seriously throw this together a few minutes before your main course is ready — or, you can even put it together a day ahead of time, because the longer it marinates, the better!
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons chili paste (I like Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger pulp
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 4 cups finely sliced green cabbage, washed and dried
- 1½ cups thinly sliced red bell pepper, washed and dried
- ⅓ cup finely sliced red onion
- approximately 3 dozen finely chopped medium-sized basil leaves, washed and dried
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the lemon juice, sugar, garlic, chili paste and ginger. Once it's blended, gradually whisk in the oil. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers, onion and basil.
- Drizzle the slaw with the dressing and serve!