Spicy Asian Slaw with Basil is quick and easy to make and is packed with incredibly delicious, super fresh Asian flavors. This sweet and spicy coleslaw is perfect for a side, first course or vegan entrée salad.
Spicy Asian Slaw with Basil is a vegan coleslaw that’s slightly crunchy, a little bit sweet, subtly spicy, and super fresh and delicious.
Ingredients for Spicy Asian Slaw
- cabbage (green or combination of red and green)
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- fresh basil
- unseasoned rice vinegar
- lemon juice
- chili paste
- ginger pulp
- grapeseed or vegetable oil
How to Make it
– In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, chili paste, and ginger together.
– Gradually whisk in the oil.
– In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers, onion and basil.
– Add the desired amount of dressing to the slaw and mix.
(More detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Can you make it ahead?
- While this is quick and easy enough that you can put it together just twenty minutes or so before you want to serve it, it only gets better with time.
- The longer it marinates, the more delicious it is.
- I wouldn’t add the dressing more than 4 hours ahead. You can mix all of the other ingredients together up to a day ahead — just wrap it well and keep it refrigerated.
- The cabbage will begin to soften after the dressing is mixed in, so if you prefer it with more crunch, add the dressing to the coleslaw as close to serving it as possible.
- This Spicy Asian Slaw with Basil is a great first course or side dish.
- Add tofu or chicken, and it’s an amazing, hearty entrée.
- It’s fabulous when added to a sandwich or burger.
- I love this Asian slaw for fish tacos.
- And it’s so delicious alongside grilled steak, chicken or fish.
- Try rolling it into a tortilla for a delicious wrap with deli meats.
- And you can even try topping a bowl of chili with it. (That might sound unusual, but I’ve done it, and I’m telling you, it’s so good.)
I hope you enjoy every last bite of this delicious Spicy Asian Slaw with Basil.
More raw cabbage recipes:
Asian Slaw with Basil Recipe
For the dressing
For the slaw
- 4 cups green cabbage (or combination or red and green) washed and dried, finely sliced
- 1½ cups red bell pepper, washed and dried, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, washed and dried, finely chopped
For the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the lemon juice, sugar, garlic, chili paste and ginger. Once it's blended, gradually whisk in the oil. Set aside.
For the slaw
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers, onion and basil.
- Add the desired amount of dressing to the slaw, mix and serve.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.