Depending on the time of year, one might find tomatoes, lettuces, peppers of all sorts, apples, lemons, tangerines, garlic, onions, basil plums, and peaches!
And it’s this time every year that my dad has dozens of fresh peaches to give me .
The grill can add a wonderful smoky, charred flavor without really cooking the fruit.
A bite of the sweet, charred peach with the spicy, smoky chorizo — all on top of my favorite Spanish cheese and a bunch of fresh cilantro . . . now that’s magical!
- 1/2 pound of your favorite pizza dough see notes
- 1/4 pound Manchego cheese thinly sliced or grated
- 1 peach washed, dried, and cut into about 10 evenly sized slices
- 2 links raw pork chorizo a little less than 1/2-pound
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves washed and dried
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and get either a pizza pan or stone ready to use.
- Stretch the dough to about an 8-inch round and place it on the pan or stone. (When I use a pan, I like to lightly coat the bottom with olive oil, about 1 tablespoon -- it adds a nice crispness to the crust.)
- Add the Manchego evenly over the dough and place in the preheated 425 degree F oven until it's golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the crust with the Manchego is baking, you can grill the peaches and the chorizo. Preheat an outdoor or a stove top grill and drizzle the peach slices with olive oil. Once it's very hot, place the peaches and the two chorizo links on the grill, with ample space between them. (If you don't hear a sizzling sound when the food hits the grill, it's not hot enough. Wait for the sizzle!)
- Grill the peaches for about 1 minute per side, only long enough to mark them. The chorizo will take about 5 to 7 minutes -- once all the sides are marked from the grill, reduce the heat and lightly cover them with foil to finish the cooking.
- Place the peaches and chorizo on a plate to cool. Once the chorizo is cool enough to handle, cut each one into about 6 slices on a bias (about 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices).
- Once the crust with the Manchego has finished baking, add the cilantro and arrange the grilled peaches and chorizo slices directly on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
If you don't have a pizza pan or stone, you can use a baking sheet.