Grilled Green Onions, also called Scallions, are incredibly delicious and the perfect spring or summer side dish. It's so easy to throw a handful of green onions on the grill next to the main course. They only take a couple of minutes to cook, and they'll brighten any plate.
This simple recipe is great to have up your sleeve for the warmer months. Last summer I think I made it almost weekly!
Not only are grilled scallions a great side, but they're incredibly versatile and can enhance many othgs an ingredient, as well as a cooking technique. This is because the grill marks add flavor -- a smoky char flavor that's super delicious!
How to Grill Green Onions
- Wash and dry the onions.
- Cut just a bit off the tips of the root ends and the green parts.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Preheat a stove-top or outdoor grill with high heat.
- Place onions on the preheated grill, turn the temperature to medium heat or medium-high heat, and cook for about four minutes, about two minutes per side.
What to Serve with Them
Here are a handful of ideas . . .
- Grilled Mediterranean Burgers
- Grilled Jalapeño Pepper Jack Turkey Burgers
- Red Goddess Grilled Flank Steak
- Salmon Burgers with Lemon and Dill
- Yellow Split Pea Burgers
What can you add them to?
- Add them chopped to just about any salad.
- Onions are always a popular topping for pizza!
- I love them with eggs.
- The grilled green onions work really well with so many Mexican recipes (tacos, burritos, tostadas, etc.)
- They're also wonderful chopped and tossed into pasta or rice.
- Add them to a food processor with softened butter and blend. This makes Grilled Green Onion Butter, which is amazing on toast and excellent to use for sautéing other foods. (You can also make this by chopping the onions as finely as possible, and mixing them into the butter.)
What's a good substitute for Scallions?
- Green garlic (also called Spring garlic). This is a very young garlic plant with a slightly milder flavor. It looks almost the same as a green onion, but the bottom white portion is usually a purple-pink color and more bulbous. I feature green garlic is this Spring Lamb Stew.
- Leeks. Leeks look like a very large green onion, and their flavor is also slightly milder.
- Mexican green onions. Regular scallions (or green onions), are harvested early in their development, while Mexican green onions are allowed to mature longer, and therefore have a small bulb.
How long can green onions last in the fridge?
Raw, they can last up to about ten days in the fridge, if stored properly . . .
- Don't wash the onions until you're ready to use them.
- Store in a ziplock bag with all of the air removed, sealed tightly.
- Adding a dry paper towel to the bag can help them last longer, as it absorbs extra moisture.
- The green stalks might be slightly wilted after several days, but you can cut those portions off.
* Unless you're planning on chopping them and adding them to another recipe (suggestions below), I would not recommend grilling the onions ahead of time, as they will become soggy. *
- I like sprinkling chili flakes on grilled green onions for a touch of heat. Adding fresh lemon juice or lemon zest would also be tasty.
- It's important to add the onions to a very hot grill. If it's not hot enough, you won't get the beautiful (and delicious) char.
- If you use leeks as a substitute (see above), you'll want to slice them vertically, into fourths.
- If you're using an outdoor grill with wide grill grates, be sure to place the onions in the opposite direction of the grate.
I hope you love this super tasty, easy recipe for grilled green onions as much as my family and I do!
Other Grilled Vegetable Sides
Grilled Green Onions Recipe
- stove top grill (or outdoor)
- 1 dozen green onions (scallions), washed and dried
- about 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Prep onions. Cut off about ½ inch or so from the root end and green parts of the onions. (If they're particularly thick, cut them in half, lengthwise. Toss them with the olive oil on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill. Once the grill is very hot, add the onions and grill to mark each side, and soften them a bit, about 4 minutes total.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.