Grilled Asparagus in Foil has just a few ingredients and big delicious flavors. It’s so easy to prepare and throw on the grill alongside your main course for outdoor spring and summer meals.
It’s amazing how even wrapped in foil, this asparagus takes on a subtle smoky flavor from the grill.
That, combined with lemon makes for an absolutely fantastic side dish.
The fresh bright flavor is perfect for spring and summer.
How to Grill Asparagus in Foil
The preparation for this recipe is quite simple, which makes it ideal to throw on the grill with other things like steak, Portobello mushrooms, or whatever you fancy.
- Wash and dry the asparagus, and then snap or cut off the
bottom few inches.
- Toss the asparagus in olive oil with salt, pepper and lemon
- Wrap it in foil and place it on a hot grill. Grill for about 7
minutes, flipping it over about half way through. (How long to grill asparagus in foil will vary, depending on the thickness of the spears.)
(More detailed instructions are below.)
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- This recipe calls for skinny asparagus (also called thin or Pencil asparagus), which makes the grilling time very quick. You can use any thickness of asparagus for the recipe, just be aware that the thicker it is, the longer the grilling time will be. Also, if the spears are thick, it's a good idea to peel them.
- I use olive oil in this recipe to keep it light, but you can switch it out for melted butter if you'd like.
- I love adding slices of of lemon to the asparagus because in the foil packet they become very soft and the flavor mellows. You can actually eat them without the overpowering sour flavor. That said, you can also opt to mix about 1½ tablespoons of lemon juice into the asparagus when you add the oil.
- Lime juice is also delicious with the asparagus if you want to switch it up.
When is asparagus in season?
Asparagus season is from approximately February through June, peaking in April.
Choose asparagus that’s bright green and firm. (The tips of the asparagus are often slightly purple, and that’s okay!)
I hope you love this method of grilling asparagus in foil as much as I do.
More spring and summer asparagus recipes:
- Vegan Asparagus Soup
- Purple Asparagus Recipe
- Lemon-Dill White Asparagus
- Parmesan Asparagus Salad
- Asparagus Aussie Lamb Crostini
Lemon Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 1¼ pounds skinny asparagus (also called thin or pencil), washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small to medium-sized lemon, washed and dried, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the asparagus. Cut the bottom few inches (the tough portion), off of the asparagus spears and discard. You can actually "snap" the ends off with your hands -- it almost always breaks right where it should.
- Combine ingredients. Add the asparagus to a sheet pan and toss the spears with the olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon slices.
- Wrap in foil and grill. Divide the asparagus into four portions. Lay out four large pieces of foil (at least a couple of inches larger than the pile of asparagus, which will not be a single layer. ) Place each portion on a sheet of foil and top each one with another piece. Crimp the edges of the foil together to seal them. Do not wrap it tightly -- there should be some air in the packet. Each pile will ultimately be a few layers of the asparagus.
- Grill and serve. Preheat an outdoor barbecue or stove-top grill. The flame should be high-medium to heat it. Once it's hot, add the foil packets and grill for about 7 minutes. After about 4 minutes, flip them over and turn the heat dow low-medium. Open the packets carefully as there will be steam inside. Serve!
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Best of the season...Those asparagus are so tender!
Thanks, Angie! Springtime vegetables are the best! 🙂 ~Valentina
I don’t ever remember to cook in foil or parchment packets, inside or out. Not sure why! But these asparagus look perfect. I love the lemons in there!
Thank you, Mimi. I don't think about cooking this way too often. It's easy and can be so delicious. (I especially love Fish en Papillote with fresh herbs & lemon!) 🙂 ~Valentina
These are my mother's favorite type of asparagus. What a super easy way to make them! Love it, especially with the added lemon!
Thanks, my friend! Yes, the lemon is sooo good! 🙂 ~Valentina
We love asparagus and love them grilled, but I've not tried wrapping them in foil for cooking on the BBQ. I will soon though. That is as soon as our asparagus season starts next month. Take care over your way...
Hi Ron. Thanks so much. The foil is perfect for these thin asparagus spears. Hope your season comes soon, and that you're feeling well! 🙂 ~Valentina
David @ Spiced
What a great idea! I've baked asparagus with lemon, and I've grilled asparagus...but I've never combined the two on the grill. We're finally hitting grilling season here, and I couldn't be more excited! This would be a great side dish next to a good backyard burger!
ooooh, so good with burgers. Thanks for checking this out, David. Enjoy! 🙂 ~Valentina
Jeff the Chef @ Make It Like a Man!
I've been on a big asparagus kick lately, but I haven't tried it on the grill. Truth be told, I'm not all that much a grill guy. But, that could change!
Hope you enjoy, Jeff. I'm not a big grill girl. 😉 I do love my stove-top grill, though and use it often. 🙂 ~Valentina
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop
This is perfect for springtime grilling. I love how fast and easy this is and no dishes to clean up since it's cooked in foil! Delicious!!!
Thank you, Kathy! I didn't even think of the benefit of no clean-up -- yay for that! 🙂 ~Valentina
John / Kitchen Riffs
This is such a terrific way to prepare asparagus! Lotta flavor. SO glad local asparagus season is here!
I am too. Thanks so much, John! 🙂 ~Valentina
Ben | Havocinthekitchen
What could be better than grilled asparagus with a touch of olive oil and lemon - that's a perfect spring/summer dish! Sprinkle it with some feta or parmesan and serve with some toasted bread, and that would be a wonderful main course for me 🙂
Hey Ben. Thank you so much. Would be delicious with cheese or bread -- love those ideas! 🙂 ~Valentina
Perfect way to prepare this vitamin loaded vegetable ! Thank you so much and enjoy your weekend!
David Scott Allen
Looks like a wonderful recipe - and that asparagus is gorgeous! Definitely need to try grilling it in the foil packets - the lemon is the perfect touch to make it special!
Thanks, David. I can't get enough asparagus during the spring. 🙂 ~Valentina