That weekend to bake amazingly delicious dessert bread.
Dessert bread full of warming spices that make the whole house smell good. Dessert bread with spices so aromatic that might even make their way out a crack in a window, thereby making the whole street — possibly even the neighborhood — smell delightful and delectable!
Christmas is in just 5 days, after all.
- 3 to 4 large Fuyu or Cinnamon persimmons
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger pulp
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease an approximately 11-inch loaf pan with a light coating of olive oil. (It's easiest to do this with a pastry brush -- or dab the oil on a paper towel to spread it around.) Set aside.
- Slice the leaf ends off of the persimmons (just a ½-inch or so), then use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel them. Use either a hand held grater or a food processor with the grater attachment, to grate them. (You will need 1½ cups.)
- Now add 1½ cups of the grated persimmon to a bowl and add the baking soda. Mix to blend and set aside. (The baking soda with thicken the liquid derived from grating the fruit.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar with the olive oil and mix to blend. Then add the eggs and egg yolk and mix again. Once it's smooth, stir in the fresh ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, and salt.
- Fold in the flour and mix just until it's fully incorporated. Then fold in the grated persimmon and crystallized ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the 350 degree F preheated oven until it's golden brown, set, and beginning to crack on top, about 30 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before serving.