Watermelon Cucumber Salsa Recipe is the essence of summer! It’s sweet, cool and refreshing — and it can be served as a snack with chips or alongside grilled chicken or fish for a fabulous dinner al fresco!This salsa says poolside snack, it screams summer barbecue appetizer, it cools me off just to look at it, and it happens to be one of my favorite weekend recipes in the summertime!
This Watermelon Cucumber Salsa is the best, most delicious way to celebrate summer!
What’s in Watermelon Cucumber Salsa?
- watermelon and cucumber (of course!)
- jalapeño peppers
- lime juice
- cayenne pepper, salt, freshly ground black pepper (and sugar, depending on the sweetness of the watermelon)
What to Serve with this Recipe
- This salsa is incredibly versatile and works alongside a handful of foods.
- It’s divine over fish, shellfish, chicken, rice, on a tortilla chip, or even as a light summer side dish!
- Spoon this summer fruit salsa over tacos, burritos and nachos! I’ve done it and people love it!
- I love to mix it into greens and add shrimp for a main course salad.
Tips for Making Watermelon Cucumber Salsa Recipe
- Make this as close to serving time as you can — or, if you have to make in advance (which is fine!), drain it a bit before serving. This is a salsa that will become very juicy the longer it sits.
- ONLY add sugar (to taste), if the watermelon you’re using isn’t as sweet as you’d like it to be. Otherwise, it’s not needed.
- If you want more heat, add more jalapeño and/or cayenne pepper.
- If you can find red jalapeños, they add even more beauty to this colorful salsa.
A few more of my favorite summer salsa recipes:
- Grape-Plum Summer Salsa
- Roasted Double Hatch Chile Pineapple Salsa
- Roasted Hatch Chile-White Peach Salsa
- Roasted Tomato Poblano Salsa
- Cherry Salsa from Krumpli
I hope you love this Watermelon Cucumber Salsa recipe as much as my family and I do!
Watermelon Cucumber Salsa Recipe is the essence of summer! It's sweet, cool and refreshing -- and it can be served as a snack with chips or alongside grilled chicken or fish for a fabulous dinner al fresco!
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups watermelon, small dice
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, small dice
- 1/3 cup scallions, finely chopped, white and green portions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño, washed and dried, seeds removed, very finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, freshly ground black pepper and sugar to taste
Gently combine all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. (Here's How to Season to Taste.)
Keep the salsa covered in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve!