Meyer Lemon Pizza Recipe with Basil is unique, delicious and so pretty. This lemon pizza recipe is packed with delicious garden flavors on top of melting, fresh mozzarella. It’s a delightful meal that’s beautiful for a casual lunch or dinner.
Back in the day, I used to subscribe to at least four food magazines at a time.
(The day in question here was when I was single, had no kids, no pets, and had a whole lot of reading time.)
Inspiration for This Recipe
I’d spend hours and hours reading my food magazines — learning, taking notes, adding book marks, and getting lots and lots of culinary inspiration.
Going back through one of my old issues of La Cucina Italiana, I read about a lemon pizza recipe called Sorrentina, a pizza that got its name from the famous lemons of Sorrento, Italy.
Here’s part of my food magazine collection in our coffee table.
My lemon pizza recipe, which is more suitably called, “The Valentina Sorrentina,” is so pretty and so tasty. I’m really excited to share it with you today.
What in this lemon pizza recipe?
- Meyer lemons
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
- pizza dough
- olive oil
- salt, sugar
Lemons are not typically thought of as an ingredient you’d slice and top a pizza with.
Which is all the more reason to do it — it’s so interesting.
Store-Bought Pizza dough vs. Homemade
It’s quite simple, if you find a pre-made pizza dough that you like, buy it!
Let’s be honest, making bread of any sort can sometimes be a bit of a production, and unless you love that production, skip it.
If you love it, go for it! Here’s a fabulous recipe for homemade pizza dough.
I happen to love the pizza dough from Trader Joe’s and find it’s delicious and quite easy to use. It will save a ton of time, which can be nice when you’re entertaining.
Check out this article on the best Store-Bought Pizza Dough.
Enjoy every scrumptious slice of this Meyer Lemon Basil Pizza!
Oh, and if you love lemons — which I’m assuming is why you’ve landed here — you will definitely want to check out my favorite 20 Most Creative Lemon Recipes.
Meyer Lemon Pizza with Basil
- ½ pound of your favorite pizza dough (see notes)
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- ¼ pound fresh Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 small Meyer lemon, sliced as thinly as possible
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and get either a pizza pan or stone ready to use.
- Stretch the dough to about an 8-inch round and place it on the pan or stone. (When I use a pan, I like to lightly coat the bottom with olive oil, about 1 tablespoon -- it adds a nice crispness to the crust.)
- Gently press a single layer of the basil leaves directly on top of the dough, covering the entire surface.
- Lay the slices of fresh Mozzarella over the basil leaves -- many of the leaves may not be covered.
- Now distribute several lemon slices on top -- both basil leaves and cheese may not be covered.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top of the pizza. Evenly sprinkle with the sugar and coarse sea salt.
- Bake in the preheated 425°F oven until the crust becomes a golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.