Basil Rice Recipe with Roasted Garlic is made with brown rice and it’s an excellent fresh, and flavorful side dish. It’s also perfect to sit beneath stews to soak up the delicious flavors.The flavors in this bowl of comfort are a culinary transition from summer to fall.
The last of my dad’s beautiful, summer, garden basil blended with warm, creamy, slow roasted garlic.
I love how this garlic rice recipe is packed with the flavor of basil, but it remains quite simple — both in it’s ingredients and its preparation.
What’s in this Basil Rice Recipe?
- olive oil
- roasted garlic
- fresh basil
- brown rice
- vegetable or chicken stock
- salt, pepper
Fresh Pesto Basil
What to Serve with Basil Rice Recipe with Roasted Garlic
- This basil brown rice is fantastic to have on hand as it’s perfect along side, or beneath almost any main course.
- I especially love it with stews, to soak up any sauce that didn’t make it into into my spoon.
Can you imagine it with this Braised Brisket Stew?Or, oh my goodness, how about serving this Basil Rice recipe with Coconut Mango Baked Chicken!? I’ve done this a few times, and it’s definitely become a family favorite at my house.
That mango sauce seeping into the grains of basil brown rice is so aromatic and delicious — you won’t be able to get enough.
Tips and Substitutions for Basil Rice Recipe with Roasted Garlic
- I like the nutty flavor from brown rice, but you can use any rice you like.
- You can use any variety you of basil love in this recipe.
- Make the roasted garlic ahead of time — up to a few days! This will make the basil rice even easier and quicker to prepare.
- Vegan? Use vegetable stock.
- All sorts of herbs are delicious in rice. For example, here’s a recipe for Italian Herb Rice. So feel free to mix it up.
Can you freeze cooked rice?
- Yes! And that means you can make much more than you need, and have it at the ready for other meals.
- If the rice is in an airtight container it can be frozen for about a month. (Longer is okay, but not ideal.)
- To thaw the cooked rice, place it in the refrigerator the day before you want to serve it, and in the morning leave it out at room temperature to continue to defrost.
- Before heating the rice, drizzle it with a bit of water to add back any moisture that might have been lost in the freezer. Then heat it, covered, over low heat on the stove.
Enjoy every last grain of this super yummy, easy Basil Rice Recipe with Roasted Garlic.
Here’s How to Roast Garlic.
Roasted Garlic-Basil Brown Rice is an excellent fresh, and flavorful side dish, and it's also perfect to sit beneath stews to soak up the delicious flavors.
*Please note that the prep time does not include roasting the garlic, which can be done up to a few days ahead of time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup basil leaves, washed and dried, finely chopped
- 1½ cups dry brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Coat the bottom of a medium-sized sauce pot with the oil and place it over medium heat.
Add the roasted garlic and onions and cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
Mix in basil leaves and rice. Stir to be sure all of the grains of rice are coated with the other ingredients, and then sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring almost constantly.
Add the stock and salt, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pot, and cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
Here's How to Roast Garlic.