Baked Basil Sweet Potatoes with Bacon are a super fun sweet potato dish that everyone will love! One of my favorite savory sweet potato recipes of all time, this comforting, creamy and fresh recipe is lovely for a Thanksgiving side, or it can be meal in and of itself anytime. Sometimes I methodically plan out what I’m going to cook for you.
Sometimes days in advance.
Sometimes weeks in advance.
And then sometimes spontaneously, it’s the ingredients I already have that inspire a creation like Baked Basil Sweet Potatoes with Bacon.
I love that sweet potatoes can work so beautifully in both desserts and dishes that are perfectly suited for lunch or dinner.
What’s in Baked Basil Sweet Potatoes with Bacon?
(Yes most of the key ingredients are in the title, but there are a few more.)
- olive oil
- sweet potato
- applewood smoked bacon
- chile powder
Such a delicious blend of flavors — and, an equally beautiful blend of colors.
What to Serve With Baked Basil Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
- These are a fabulous side dish to have with chicken or meat.
- And can you imagine what a hit these would be as part of a Thanksgiving spread!? They would be fabulous for alongside Smoky Paprika-Bacon Roasted Turkey.
- This sweet potato recipe can be a totally satisfying main course on their own.
- I especially like serving these Basil Sweet Potatoes with salads.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Vegetarian? Omit the bacon.
- Can you use other cheeses? Sure, try it with a cheese you love. Asiago and Pecorino Romano and Parmesan would also be delicious.
- The basil is aromatic and adds wonderful flavor to this dish. If however, it’s not your favorite, you can use spinach.
More savory sweet potato side dishes:
And these Sweet Potatoes with Pomegranate and Walnuts are definitely worth checking out.
I hope you love the Baked Basil Sweet Potatoes with Bacon as much as my family and I do.
A super fun sweet potato dish that everyone will love!
All of the measurements in this recipe can be give or take -- it does not have to be exact!
- olive oil for the pan
- 3 small to medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 4 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 12 large basil leaves, washed and dried, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sprinkle of chile powder, mild or hot, depending on what you like
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven and prepare the pan. Preheat the oven to 375°F and adjust a rack to the center. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and drizzle it with olive oil. Then evenly sprinkle the oil with salt and pepper.
Prepare the sweet potatoes. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, and then cut them in half, lengthwise. Place them on the oiled and seasoned parchment-lined sheet pan, round side up. Roast them in the preheated 375°F oven until they are super soft, about 30 minutes. Once you remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, use a fork to gently mash the them inside of their skins. (Keep the oven on!)
Cook the bacon. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add a layer of paper towels to a plate and set aside. Then add the bacon to a large sauté pan, over medium heat, and cook until it's crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Let the bacon strips drain on the towel-lined plate. Crumble the bacon and mix it with the basil.
Assemble. Top each one with an equal portion of the basil-bacon mixture. Now top each one with an equal portion of the cheese, drizzle all of them with the honey and sprinkle each with a touch of the chile powder.
Bake and serve. Place the sheet pan in the 375°F oven just to melt the cheese and bring the flavors together, about 5 minutes. Serve!
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.