Oh my goodness, this Caramelized Apple Brie appetizer recipe is so dreamy! Packed with fresh flavors and comforting textures, you won’t be able to get enough! The melted brie combined with the sweet apple will lure anyone in.
Inspiration for Caramelized Apple Brie Melt Recipe
My kids had a couple of (hungry) friends over the other day. Since everyone had been eating Thanksgiving leftovers for a few days, I thought I’d mix it up a little.
My goal is generally to make recipes that are loved by both kids and adults alike.
My fruit and onion bowls on the counter were pretty full, and I knew right away the red skin of the apples would be a pretty addition. And beyond that, I knew caramelizing onion and apple would be super tasty! Furthermore, I was certain everyone would love it!
And so the Caramelized Apple Brie Melt Recipe was born.
How to Make Caramelized Apple Brie Melt Recipe
- Place the bread on the foil-lined baking sheet and when the oven is hot toast the bread just until it’s slightly golden.
- Rub each piece of bread with the garlic clove — I was going for a sweet and savory vibe, but I also wanted to give it an extra bite — something with subtle heat. I decided that all it would take to add this bit of punch to the brie melt recipe, was a clove of garlic. Not to use directly in the onion-apple mixture, but directly on the bread. Once Sourdough bread is toasted it’s firm enough to work as a “grater” for the garlic. A peeled clove rubbed along its surface will become softer as it moves, leaving its delicious juices behind to flavor the bread.
- Sauté the onion until golden and then add fresh thyme and apples.
- Cook until the apples become soft and golden.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the brie into slices and top each slice of bread with them, followed by an equal portion of the onion-apple mixture.
- Bake just to melt the brie.
- Drizzle each one with a bit of the honey.
(Super detailed instructions are below.)
Fresh thyme leaves brighten the recipe, and the final touch on the apple brie melt recipe is a drizzle of honey — just enough to bring it all together and make it extra special.
This Caramelized Onion Apple Brie Melt Recipe was lunch for the kids, and yes, they devoured it. I did too. Success!
When to Serve Caramelized Caramelized Apple Brie Melt
- This apple brie appetizer is an amazing appetizer during the holiday season! It would be lovely for Thanksgiving. You can also use a thin baguette and slice it into small rounds, instead of the large slices of Sourdough.
- It can totally suffice as lunch too.
- How about dinner? Just add a side salad and you’re set.
Enjoy every last bite!
Packed with fresh flavors and comforting textures, you won’t be able to get enough!
- 2 large slices Sourdough bread
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- olive oil for the pan
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup firm apple (Fuji, Honey Crisp), thinly sliced
- salt and freshly gound black pepper
- 8 ounces firm brie cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
Preheat the oven to 375°F, adjust a rack to the center, line a baking sheet with foil, and place the slices of bread on top.
When the oven is preheated, toast the bread. This should just take a few minutes -- you want it to be golden.
Then with a good amount of pressure, rub each toasted slice of bread with the garlic clove — the toasted bread should “grate” it a bit, flavoring the surface. Set aside.
Coat the bottom of a medium-sized sauté pan (approx. 10-inch) with olive oil, and place it over medium heat.
Add the onion, and stirring often, cook until golden, about 7 minutes. Then add the thyme and apples. Again, stirring often, cook until the apples become soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Here’s How to Season to Taste.)
Cut the brie into slices thin enough to cover each piece of toasted bread on the baking sheet. Add them to the bread, and then top each one with an equal portion of the onion-apple mixture.
Place in the preheated 375°F oven and bake just to melt the brie, about 4 minutes.
Crack a little more pepper on top if desired, and then drizzle each one with a bit of the honey. Serve immediately.