This Vegetable Lemon Quinoa recipe is vegan, super healthy and incredibly delicious. It’s absolutely exploding with flavors that will keep you coming back for more. This has become a family favorite quinoa recipe we make all the time.We are always on the hunt for fabulous restaurants with a lot of gluten-free options for my oldest son who has Celiac Disease. Our favorites are usually Mexican, Thai or Japanese — they’re typically full of inherently gluten-free items.
Inspiration for Vegetable Lemon Quinoa Recipe
A few weeks ago though, I took him to Kreation — I’d been there a couple of times and thought he might think it was cool. They offer tons of gluten-free options, as well as vegan, vegetarian, and a handful of things for meat lovers, too.
Kreation is primarily a juicerie, but there are a couple of locations near us in Los Angeles with extensive breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. My son ordered the Braised Short Ribs — which is off topic, but I have to mention that they were superb.
Now to my point, the ribs came with a side of a fantastic lemon quinoa with vegetables mixed into it. I wasn’t so sure how it would go, but he devoured it and wanted more.
I’ve been making my hearty Vegetable Lemon Quinoa rendition of Kreation’s version ever since. It’s a huge hit!
For starters, it’s really quite beautiful. Just look at those colors and textures! And the smoky and tangy flavors are out of this world!
What’s in Vegetable Lemon Quinoa?
- quinoa (Of course! I used a mix of colors, but use any color you like.)
- olive oil
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano and thyme
- bell pepper
- lemon juice
- fresh basil
It’s this combination of ingredients that makes this so incredibly appetizing.
While I’m sure it’s not exactly the same as the one at the restaurant, this Vegetable Lemon Quinoa is is devoured — by everyone in my house! Turns out my younger son is also a quinoa fan.
Here are a few more of our favorite quinoa recipes:
- Red Quinoa Crisps
- Crispy Red Quinoa Burgers
- Black Quinoa Salad with Plum and Avocado
- Tropical Quinoa Salad Bowl with Shrimp
- Quince Quinoa Side for Fall from Jolly Tomato
Smoky Lemon Vegetable Quinoa Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cup quinoa (I used a mix of colors - black, red, & white)
- olive oil for the pan
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, cut into small dice
- 2 cups zucchini, washed, dried & cut into small dice
- 1 cup red bell pepper, washed, dried & cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, washed, dried and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the water into a medium-sized pot, place it over high heat, and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, coat the bottom of a very large sauté pan with olive oil and place it over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the paprika, oregano and thyme and mix. Once it’s very aromatic, add the carrots and cook for a few minutes. Then add the zucchini and pepper and cook, stirring often until all of the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Either in a large mixing bowl, or directly in the sauté pan if it’s big enough — fold the cooked quinoa into the vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice and basil and then season generously to taste with salt and pepper. (Here's How to Season to Taste.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is not a sponsored post. My son simply discovered his love of quinoa at Kreation.