While I do fancy myself someone who knows about most food related things, I had to leave a few blank. GASP!
I did suspect these adorable fruits were a citrus of some sort, but wasn’t sure enough to write it down. Once learning they were limes, I wasn’t too surprised.
What did surprise and totally delight me was what was going on inside of these guys’ thin, greenish-pinkish-yellowish skin.
What are Finger Limes?
- These little finger-shaped limes vary in color — depending on their variety, from various shades of green and yellow, to reddish-green, purple and pink.
- Finger limes are a micro-citrus (a few inches long at most), and the flavor of these treasures is somewhere between a lime and a grapefruit.
- They’re filled with hundreds of tiny balls of juice — edible bubbles, if you will. These “bubbles” literally pop between your teeth. Oh my! Now I get why they’re often called Citrus Caviar.
- Native to the rainforest regions of Australia, these delicious delicacies are a huge trend in produce at the moment.
- Finger limes are typically in season from September through January. They can be stored for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator and about a week on the counter.
How to Use Finger Limes
Finger Limes seem to be especially popular among mixologists, as they are a big hit in cocktails.
However, they are also fabulous when paired with a variety of other foods, too. My favorite way to enjoy them has been with avocados. And they are absolutely stunning!
They are also delicious in salads and on ice cream!
Check out this Papaya-Avocado Salad with Cactus Pear-Lemon Vinaigrette . . . .
In addition to being called Citrus Caviar, others refer to them as Citrus Pearls or Citrus Pop Rocks.
I call them an incredibly unique and delicious treat!
Where to Find Finger Limes
You will likely find Finger Limes at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms, and if you’re in Los Angeles, the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market should have them too.
Otherwise, you can in get more information here.
This is not a sponsored post — I am simply enamored with this cool item!