It’s a cool fall afternoon and you’re craving a super comforting, warming snack that you can whip up quickly.
You want to be somewhat healthy, so while there’s a lot of cheese, it’ll also be packed with some very nutrient rich leafy greens. Balance is good. 😉
So you’ll serve it in the same pan you cooked it in, which frankly it’ll taste better in, if you ask me.
Your utensils will be chips! Or pieces of a lovely rustic bread.
Sometimes I make this for just my husband and I as a meal. (GASP! Yep, I do.) However, it’s also a great appetizer recipe to make for a dinner party of guests. Everyone will love it, any which way you serve it.
You can’t possibly make a dish with warm, melting cheese and not have it be a comfort food dish! And Gruyère adds a lovely buttery, nut-like flavor that can’t be matched. Add to that a few warming spices and it’s over-the-top!
Oh, and also it also makes for a great pasta sauce, and is fabulous served over baked chicken.
- olive oil for the pan
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1¼ cups drained, marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped with tougher leaves removed
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne (depending on how much heat you like)
- 5 cups packed, fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried & roughly chopped (about 8-ounces)
- 2 cups grated Gruyère
- 4-ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Coat the bottom of a (10-inch), oven-safe skillet with olive oil, and place it over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook just until the onions become slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne and stir to blend.
- Mix in the spinach in two or three batches, cooking just until wilted.
- Turn on the oven broiler, and then add Gruyère and cream cheese. Once the cheeses are melted, stir in the half and half, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Evenly sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and then place the skillet under the broiler, just until the top is golden, about 1 minute.
- Serve with chips, bread or raw vegetables.