This Gluten-Free Skillet Jalapeño-Bacon Cornbread recipe is both sweet and savory, and therefor fabulous to serve with coffee for brunch or with a bowl of chili for dinner. The butter in the recipe for this gluten free skillet cornbread creates the most beautiful, caramelized crust that you will love!My cast iron skillet is one of the things in my kitchen that I absolutely cannot imagine living (or at least cooking) without!
I use it at least once a day — usually a few times. In fact, it lives on one of the burners. And by lives, I mean lives! That’s its home because I use it too often to put it away.
Can one be in love with a skillet? As it turns out . . . . yes!
In fact, I even bake bread in my skillet. And this gluten-free skillet cornbread wouldn’t be nearly as tasty if it were baked in anything else.
You can’t very well serve chili without cornbread. The two simply belong together! And don’t even set a table, just gather round your sofas, eat, talk and enjoy the food!
What to Serve with Gluten-Free Skillet Jalapeño-Bacon Cornbread
- This week is all about firing up the flavors of fall. Serve this cornbread with my Roasted Butternut Squash Chili for a cozy gathering of friends or family over the weekend!
- Or, you could have the gathering for brunch, and serve it with Grilled Avocado Bacon Compote and Cashel Blue Cheese. What a combination that would be. Oh, and don’t forget the coffee!
- And how about this wonderful dessert to finish off either meal? A delightful bowl of Salted, Spiced Caramel Pumpkin Gelato! That’s right! Yum!
This gluten-free skillet cornbread is made exactly the way I love cornbread — with fresh kernels of corn and a bit of heat form jalapeños. Perfect!
This cornbread recipe is both sweet and savory, and therefor fabulous to serve with coffee for brunch or with a bowl of chili for dinner.
- 7 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1/4 cups onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted jalapeño peppers (click here to learn how to roast the peppers), finely chopped
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Add the bacon to a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the bacon -- but not the bacon fat -- from the skillet. Set the bacon aside on a plate.
Add the onion to the bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until they are soft, about 6 minutes. Add the jalapeños and sauté until the mixture is aromatic, about 1 minute. Crumble the bacon and add it to this mixture. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and leave the skillet as it is on the stove.
In a large mixing bowl, stir the cornmeal, baking soda, salt, sugar and cumin. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and lemon juice together. Then stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
Add the butter to the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Swirl it around the bottom and sides to melt it into the other ingredients. Once the butter has completely melted, turn the heat off, and very gradually add it to the batter, about 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until it's completely incorporated and fold in the corn kernels.
Pour the mixture into the hot cast iron skillet and place it in the preheated oven. Bake the bread until the top is nicely browned and it no longer jiggles, about 30 to 35 minutes. If the top becomes brown early on in the cooking process, simply cover it loosely with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve directly from the skillet.
If you want to keep your meal vegetarian, simply omit the bacon and add an additional 1/4 cup butter.
I realize this cornbread recipe is far from fat-free. As far as I am concerned, most things are okay in moderation. And this is so delicious with the super healthy chili recipe!