Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad is simple, full of seasonal summer flavors, and is as delicious as it is beautiful.
Hopefully you’re very hungry for a new recipe!
This recipe just so happens to be a lovely appetizer to serve at your July 4th barbecue. And with this Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad, you’ll be a hit for sure!
Recently I was in Hawaii with my husband and boys for a much needed week of pure relaxation and fun!
And really delicious food!
Inspiration for Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad
I have a few restaurants I can’t wait to tell you about in the next couple of weeks! First though, I thought I’d share this super quick and easy appetizer that we had one night a the Kona Inn.
This time of year I’m always super happy to be served almost any variation of a summer tomato salad, and this is definitely my new favorite.
A Simple and Easy Salad
Other than the sweet Maui onions, this recipe isn’t Hawaiian, but I loved the simplicity and beauty of it. It may resemble the Italian Caprese, but the flavor profile is quite different.
What’s in Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad?
It’s almost all in the title. Well, plus basil, balsamic vinegar and pepper. That’s it!
Can you make it ahead?
You can arrange the ingredients up to a couple hours ahead of time. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. (The balsamic glaze should not be added until the moment you serve.)
Also inspired from Hawaii:
And now a few important thank yous in case they’re reading this . . .
To my friend Aimée, for encouraging me to make our Hawaiian vacation happen!
To my aunt Roberta, without your help, I would not have left town. Simple as that.
To my brother John, for taking Annabelle to the dog park every day, and brightening Dad’s days by bringing him with you.
To my cousin Beth, for cooking so much delicious food for my parents. (Not just while I was away, but for the last several weeks!)
To my in laws, for taking such good care of our house and dogs!
And to my husband for always being my rock. And for answering me with “whatever you want” every time I asked about something I wanted to do while in Hawaii. 😉
Tomato Onion Blue Cheese Salad
- 2 tomatoes (about the size of plums) washed, dried, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 Maui onion, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 10 large basil leaves, washed and dried
- 2 teaspoons blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Alternating between the tomato and onion slices, arrange them on a round plate. Add a basil leaf after each onion slice, and then sprinkle the blue cheese over the top.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to a very small sauté pan and place it over medium-high heat. Cook until it thickens and reduces by about half.
- Drizzle the reduced balsamic and grind a bit of pepper over the tomatoes and onions and serve.