Herbed Garlic Bread Recipe

If you’ve been following me for a while you know my eight-year-old son has Celiac Disease and is therefore 100% gluten-free.  And that my sweet husband became gluten-free, too, to stand in solidarity with him.

When my son was diagnosed close to three years ago, our house became pretty much totally gluten-free.

Well, I have a confession to make. . .

I love gluten-full bread!  I do!  I pretend all the time around my son that he’s really not missing much, but let me tell you. . . . and please, mum’s the word. . . . it’s really better!

Please don’t get me wrong, I create gluten-free recipes all the time, and as you might know, I think some of them are amazing.  The thing is, I recently had a super strong craving for “real” bread — made with all-purpose flour.  So I made some!  This morning!

Making this bread made for a delightful Sunday morning.  After it cooled, I toasted a couple of slices under the broiler for a moment or so, added a bit of butter, and smiled.

Herbed Garlic Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Active Work Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 1 (11-inch) loaf of bread

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1-1/2 cups buttermilk

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 large egg

2 teaspoons finely minced garlic

1/3 cup finely chopped, mixed, fresh herbs (marjoram, thyme, sage)

1/3 cup olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and coat an approximately 11-inch loaf pan with a thin layer of butter and flour.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Make a well in the middle and set aside.
  3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, gently whisk buttermilk, yogurt, egg, garlic, herbs and olive oil. Pour this in the well in the dry ingredients and mix only until combined.
  4. Pour the batter into the greased pan, and bake in the preheated oven until the bread becomes solid (it should no longer jiggle if you move the pan), the top is golden brown and slightly cracked, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  5. Let the bread rest in the pan for at least 20 minutes or so. Then use a large plate or baking sheet to invert the bread to remove it from the pan. Wait about an hour before attempting to slice the bread. It should be completely cooled.

Notes

You could also make lovely, savory muffins with this recipe. Simply bake the batter in muffin tins. The cooking time will be less, so keep a close watch on them.

This is a pretty full loaf pan when it goes in the oven -- it's a good idea to place it on a baking sheet . . . just in case.

Timeline:
3 hours ahead: Make the batter and bake the bread.
This bread will keep wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for about 4 days, and in the freezer for a couple of weeks.

Comments

1. says

The herbs make it very appropriate for Spring! But I’m sorry your son can’t enjoy this one with you. Next time, call me over and I’ll help share the loaf. :-)

[K]

2. Melissa says

This looks absolutely amazing! Two questions, if you’ll indulge: do you think I could use dried herbs instead of fresh and do you think this bread is strong enough to use for sandwiches? As soon as I saw it, I got a hankering for a turkey sandwich!

• valentina says

Hi Melissa! Yes it’s great for sandwiches (though I’d toast under the broiler and not in a standing toaster). If you use dried herbs you’ll use much less, maybe 1 tablespoon for the whole loaf. Thanks for sharing in my blog — hope you enjoy! :-)

3. says

Your website is great I am happy I found it
    Thank you for the great garlic bread recipe I will try it out tommorrow. I am always fond of anything spicy with garlic especially garlic bread-I have been known to be able to eat a loaf alone when its warm maybe I’ll bake 2 .

best
    wishs

alan

4. Abbey says

I just made this recipe and it came out so tasty! I used basil instead of sage (I think it would be good either way though). The breads texture is so moist and yummy. Thanks for sharing this easy bread recipe!

• valentina says

Hi Abbey! I’m thrilled you made and loved the bread! And the basil sounds like the perfect addition! xo

5. says

OK, I am so making this bread tomorrow morning! I love the quick, no-yeast-breads and it reminds me of lunches in Serbia, when my mom would bake something similar. I made biscuits and eggs and gravy and bacon today, and I am not slaving tomorrow morning:)
    Happy Passover!

6. Brittany says

I love your site! I just recently started staying at home so I could finish planning my wedding, get married in June, and take summer classes. Let me just say, this bread is getting made TONIGHT. I am so excited to try this and a lot of your other recipes. Thank you! I love finding new things and experimenting with new things in the kitchen.

-Britt

• valentina says

Brittany, thank you for your sweet comment — I’m happy to have you here! Hope you enjoy the recipes. And congratulations of your up coming wedding! How exciting! :-)

7. says

Ooo, this bread sounds so delish! The only thing I don’t have is yogurt. Can I substitute something, or use more buttermilk. Or maybe I just need to head to the store . . .

• valentina says

Hi Amanda! I think you should try it, using and extra 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. It should turn out well, maybe just not quite the same. That said, if it’s easy to run to the store. . . ;-) Enjoy!

8. LouAnn says

I love this and will try it soon. My husband and myself absolutely love breads like this. It warms my heart to see such a loving mother and of course father. For you both to embrace such a change in your diet to show your son support just warms my heart. I’m glad that you indulge in gluten once in awhile because that makes it easier i’m sure to be able to go gluten free for longer times knowing that you can have gluten once in a while. HUGS to you for being such a great mom. Thank you for this recipe, it looks amazing and I will be trying it this weekend for sure.

• valentina says

LouAnn, what a sweet comment. Thank you. :-) I hope you love the bread as much as I do! Your home will be filled with the wonderful scent of herbs and garlic! xo Valentina

9. says

I was reading comments and you said that you could use dried herbs but much less, and you suggested 1 Tablespoon for the whole loaf. Does that mean a teaspoon of margoram, thyme and sage mixed together or 1 Tablespoon of each herb? Also I only have a nine inch loaf pan and an 8 inch loaf pan?

• valentina says

Hi Suzanne! Yes, it’s about 1 tablespoon of the dried herbs for the entire loaf — 1 tea. of each herb. You can use your 9″ pan and use the extra batter in a small baking dish, muffin pan, or small round ceramic dish. Hope this helps! Enjoy and thanks for visiting! :-)

10. Judy Kallmeyer says

Sounds yummy! I am a diabetic. Do you have any idea how many carbs would be in, say, a one ounce slice? I am going to try the recipe using stevia instead of sugar. Will be interesting to see if it changes the consistency of the batter at all.

• valentina says

Hi Judy, I’m so sorry but I don’t know the nutritional breakdown of this bread. I will try to research that. I think the stevia will be fine! :-)

• valentina says

Sawyne, I haven’t made this without the yogurt, but it would probably work to add 1/2 cup more of the buttermilk and skip the yogurt — that said, I’d use the yogurt if you can. :-) Thanks for visiting my site!

• says

I always have yogurt on hand and use it in all my muffins and quick breads. Love your healthy approach as I have to tweek fat & sugar in most everything! I add zucchini & toasted nuts to bump up the fiber. Shall enjoy trying your recipes! I don’t own 11 in. pans, but will try the muffins.

11. Debbie says

I have some jewels gluten free flour substitute that is pretty close to regular flour I think I’m going to try that. I have found that I have a gluten and yeast sensativity and while on occasion I’ll eat a piece of regular bread I will pay for it in then end. Excited to try this yeast free recipe.

12. Mary says

This looks so good and easy. I’m going to make it your original way and then I’m going to try adding some shredded Asiago Cheese to a second batch. Then it’s on to the Chocolate/Coconut one!!

13. Jenn Ross says

I tried this recipe once, it was so delicious. That was also my first time visiting your site. Then I got a new computer and could not find the page to save my life. I’ve been searching for two days. Finally I remembered you talking about your son with Celiac disease. I searched for “home chef blog with celiac son makes herbed garlic bread”. I don’t know how terrible that sounds but that’s the only thing that worked for me. I was so very, very thankful to have found it. I LOVE your site and it’s now in my faves. Thanks!

• valentina says

Jenn — what a sweet comment. Thank you! I’m so very happy you found me again — and that you loved the bread! :-) Valentina

14. Katy says

I found this recipe this morning and am getting ready to make it. I’m going to try it without the yogurt since my husband and I both dislike yogurt and never have any in the house. I’m going to add the extra 1/2 cup of buttermilk and I’ll let the rest of you know how it turns out since I saw two other people ask about the yogurt. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

15. Amy says

Yum! This is the first garlic bread recipe I’ve tried that I was actually impressed with! Flavor wasn’t overwhelming, fairly light and its actually moist! Thanks!
    I did alter it a bit though to suit the ingredients I had-
    I only halfed it because I wasn’t sure how it would turn out but man now I wish I did a full recipe. I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and just added a little less, I used normal milk because I didn’t have any buttermilk and I didn’t have any fresh garlic or herbs so I used dry. I actually only had garlic salt so I cut about half the salt out and added about a fourth of what the garlic called. I didn’t have sage so I used basil and did a fourth tablespoon of the mixed herbs. I also just ran out of olive oil so I just used more yogurt. Oh and instead of sugar, I used coconut sugar. :)

16. Shivali says

Hi valentina this is such a simple easy to put together bread recipe I came across. I baked it right away but my bread loaf split when baking. It’s cooling right now but I wish it didn’t split on the top. Is there a way to avoid that? Also I didn’t have plain yogurt but Greek yogurt and I used that in the recipe. I am not sure if that caused the problem of splitting. Also I used homemade buttermilk. Please do let me know. It tastes great though. Thank you :)

• valentina says

Hi there! Sometimes when a bread cracks on top, it can be a good thing — though not always the aesthetic we’re going for. ;-) And with this bread, I haven’t had it split. Sometimes a batter that is too dry can result in cracking — maybe the homemade buttermilk was thicker than a store-bought one — and Greek yogurt (which I do love), is definitely less liquid that other yogurts. So perhaps those could have been factors. Another reason could be over mixing the batter. Here’s a trick to help prevent splitting — add a pan of shallow water to a lower shelf in the oven (during the baking process). Hope this helps and I’m happy it still tasted good. Thank you for visiting my site and trying this recipe. :-)