The vegan rice side dish is almost too good to be true! It’s subtly sweet with the fresh flavor of cilantro throughout — and the pairing possibilities are endless, as it would be delicious with just about everything!This rice would be so perfect along side a spicy chicken dish. I should know.
I made Coconut Mango Chicken plopped it right on top (pictured below).
It was so incredibly scrumptious!It would also be delicious for dessert. I should know. I might have had a few bites after dinner. Though not a true dessert, it’s a bit reminiscent of Mango Sticky Rice, and is just sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth.
Any bits of rice that stick to the pot would be so yummy. I should know. I ate them. All of them.
It would be a good idea to make a double batch. I should know. I barely had enough to share. (And yes it does technically serve 4.)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup finely diced brown/yellow onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups coconut water
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- a couple of turns of freshly ground black pepper
- Coat the bottom of a small medium-sized sauce pot with the coconut oil and place it over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they're are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cumin. Stir to be sure all the grains are coated with the coconut oil, and then sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring almost constantly.
- Add the coconut water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the pot, and cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, a few turns of freshly ground black pepper, and serve!