Yes, for dinner! And not just because my kids thought it was a “totally awesome” idea. (Go figure.)
These divine, savory waffles are generously packed with melting cheddar cheese, perfect bites of smoky bacon, and ever-so-slightly, crunchy scallions. Imagine a little of that deliciousness in each and every bite — all encased in a super tasty, subtly smoky and rich batter, that’s crisped to perfection. Dinner, indeed.
And now imagine, if you will, drizzling a bit of maple syrup over these beauties for brunch.
I know, right!?
Bacon-Cheddar Gluten-Free Waffles Recipe
- 5 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup bacon fat from cooking the bacon - see recipe step 3
- about 1 tablespoon olive oil see recipe step 3
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour I like Trader Joe's or Bob's Red Mill brands
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
- about 2 teaspoons unsalted butter for the waffle maker
- Cover a large plate with a double layer of paper towels and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium heat, until it's golden and crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Use kitchen tongs to remove the strips and place them on the paper towel-lined plate to drain. Turn off the heat, but leave the bacon fat in the pan! Add the scallions and mix to blend.
- Once the bacon is cool enough to touch, roughly chop it and add it back to the pan and mix. Place a strainer over a bowl or large measuring beaker and then pour the contents of the pan into it. We want to drain the bacon fat and then measure 1/4 cup of it for the recipe. (There should be enough, but if not, add olive oil to it until it equals 1/4 cup.) Then add the 1 tablespoon of olive to it also.
- Pour the 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and olive oil into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and milk and whisk until blended. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour with the baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Once it's evenly blended, add it to the wet ingredients and mix until it's smooth.
- Fold in the bacon-onion mixture, garlic and cheese, and gently mix until all of the ingredients are evenly blended.
- With a bit of the butter for each batch, if it's not non-stick, add the batter to the waffle iron, using it according to the manufacturers instructions. (Mine if fairly standard and uses about 1/3 cup batter per waffle.)
- Let the waffles cool on a cooling rack and then serve!