Sweet Breakfast Tomatoes with Olive Oil are something I had for the first time in Spain. It’s a Spanish breakfast, and it’s also a fabulous appetizer. Summer tomatoes are worth celebrating and this might just be the best way to do it. The last time I was in Spain visiting my Spanish sister Pilar, her brother Rafael made a breakfast I will never forget.
Sweet Breakfast Tomatoes with Olive Oil. Though he called it simply, “Tomate con Pan,” (Tomato with Bread).
This Spanish breakfast is incredibly simple, beautiful and delicious.
What’s in Sweet Breakfast Tomatoes with Olive Oil?
This is so pure . . .
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Oh, and bread too, as a vehicle to eat it.
How to Make Breakfast Tomatoes
- Grate a tomato. Preferably a freshly picked, sun-kissed, summer tomato. Yep, you grate the tomato. Skin, seeds and all!
- Add a bit of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Then give it a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. If you can get your hands on a Spanish olive oil, that would be a great choice.
- Serve these breakfast tomatoes with a rustic loaf of bread, and just pull off pieces and dip them in.
Can you use a food processor to blend a lot of tomatoes at once?
Yes you can. That said, I think part of joy of this is grating the tomatoes one at a time, at the table, while you’re eating. This is easy for just a few people, but the food processor will definitely help for a big crowd.
What else can you do with Sweet Breakfast Tomatoes?
This is not only a Spanish breakfast — it also makes for a delightful summer appetizer!
Really, this is excellent as is, however there some some delicious possibilities . . .
- Spread it on toasted baguette slices and top them with avocado slices. Tomato toast! It’s sort of the reverse of my avocado toast.
- Mix it into pasta or rice.
- Serve it over or with chicken or fish.
- Add it to a sandwich.
During the summer, this is one tastiest breakfasts imaginable. And its simplicity is part of its beauty.
The key to this being amazing, is of course to start with an absolutely wonderful tomato — right off the vine if possible! Summer is the best time to make it!
Sweet Breakfast Tomatoes with Olive Oil
- 2 large tomatoes (about 1/2-pound each), washed and dried
- pinch salt
- pinch freshly grated black pepper
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small to medium-sized baguette
- Grate the tomatoes and add the pulp to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately with a baguette.
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.