Culinarily speaking, this Watermelon Cucumber Salsa is the best, most delicious way to celebrate summer!
And today is the first official day of summer — June 22! (To be honest, I guess I celebrated yesterday! ;-))This salsa is incredibly versatile, too! It’s divine over fish, shellfish, chicken, rice, on a tortilla chip, or even as a light summer side dish!
I’m also celebrating the first day of summer by taking my boys to the beach! How are you bringing in Summer 2012?
What foods feel like summer to you? I want to know, so please tell me in the comments!
Watermelon Cucumber Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups watermelon cut into a small dice (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch)
- 1 cup cucumber peeled, and cut into a small dice (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch) -- use the outer portion without the seeds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped scallions white and green portions (about 2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped jalapeño seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on how much heat you like
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Gently combine all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. That's it!
- Keep the salsa covered in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve!
Recipe NotesThe fresher the better -- however if you want to make it a few hours ahead of time, save the lime juice, sugar, cayenne, and salt to add just before you're ready to serve.
If you can find red jalapeños, they add even more beauty to this colorful salsa!