Asian-Style Slaw with Basil is quick and easy to make and is packed with incredibly delicious, super fresh Asian flavors. This is sweet and spicy coleslaw is perfect for a side, first course or vegan entrée salad.Oh, and it’s just so pretty, isn’t it? I think so — the Asian-Style Slaw and the bowl itself.
Although a vegan would be thrilled to be served this on its own, I would personally, absolutely love this Asian-Style Slaw with meats and poultry.
This Asian-Style Slaw with Basil can be served in so many ways:
- It can be a beautiful first course.
- Or an entrée salad served with bread, fruit or perhaps even with a grain, like rice, mixed into it.
- It’s fabulous when added to a sandwich or burger.
- And wonderful along side steak, chicken or a hearty fish.
- I love it rolled into tortilla for a delicious wrap with deli meats.
- And you can even try topping a bowl of chili with it. (That might sound unusual, but I’ve done it, and I’m telling you, it’s so good.)
When I said “whipped up,” I meant it. This spicy coleslaw is truly easy to make. You can actually put it together just twenty minutes or so before you want to serve it. And I think the longer it marinated, the better it is. So its a great idea to make a big batch and have it at the ready. You never know what you suddenly want to add a handful to your sandwich for lunch.
Enjoy every last bite of your delicious Asian-Style Slaw, however you decide to serve it.
Asian-Style Slaw with Basil is quick and easy to make and is packed with incredibly delicious, super fresh Asian flavors. This is sweet and spicy coleslaw is perfect for a side, first course or vegan entrée salad.
*This is delicious if you serve it immediately, but you can also let it sit in the dressing to soften the vegetables and intensify the flavors. If desired, let it marinate for at least an hour and up to overnight.
- 4 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili paste (I like Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger pulp
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 cups green cabbage, washed and dried, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, washed and dried, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- about 3 dozen medium-sized basil leaves, washed and dried, finely chopped
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the lemon juice, sugar, garlic, chili paste and ginger. Once it's blended, gradually whisk in the oil. Set aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers, onion and basil.
Drizzle the slaw with the dressing and serve!