Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes are super delicious and quick and easy to make. A perfect side dish for fall and lovely for Thanksgiving, they're creamy, rich and packed with warm flavors.
While I do love traditional mashed potatoes with gravy, I really love mashed sweet potatoes with ginger.
This sweet potato recipe can stand in for other mashed potato recipes any time. It's delicious beneath stews, alongside steak or chicken, even with a salad, and best of all, right next to the turkey and cranberries on your Thanksgiving table.
What's in this recipe?
With a touch of cinnamon and lightly sweetened with brown sugar, they're really a treat.
And the fresh ginger adds an ideal amount of heat and interest to the creamy, rich potatoes. Oh, and the butter and cream put it totally over-the-top!
Like the majority of recipes on Cooking On The Weekends, this is a comfort food, through and through. At least by my definition.
Naturally, I do a lot of comfort food cooking in the fall and winter months. We all want warming, cozy foods when the temperature drops and night falls earlier.
How to Make Them
You won't believe how easy and quick it is to make these sweet potatoes!
Peel, cut, and steam the sweet potatoes until they're tender.
Mash the steamed sweet potatoes with the butter, ginger, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Now mix in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
That's essentially it! (More detailed instructions are below.)
- To get the ginger pulp, use a super fine grater, like a microplane grater, to grate the ginger. If you don't have one, chop it as finely as possible, until it's juicy.
I promise you, Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes will make you a star on Thanksgiving, or any day!
Easy Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ginger pulp, freshly grated (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and then cut them into bite-sized pieces, about 2-inch cubes.
- Put a large steamer into a large pot with the water level just below it. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil and then add sweet potatoes to the rack. Turn the heat to low, cover, and steam until the sweet potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes. (You can stick a fork into one of the pieces to see how tender they are -- it should easily slide right out when they're done.)
- Add the sweet potatoes -- along with the butter, ginger, brown sugar, and cinnamon -- to a large mixing bowl and use a very large fork or potato masher to mash them. They can be as smooth or as chunky as you'd like -- mine are mostly smooth with a few chunks. (This must be done while they're still hot, so that the butter melts in nicely.)
- Now mix in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Here's How.)
Cooking On The Weekends is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Wow, I had no idea you were a daredevil except in the kitchen! This looks fab! For a non-dairy version, you could sub the cream and butter with full-fat coconut milk and coconut oil.
Thanks for adding that Adair! It would be equally as delicious, I'm sure! YUM! 🙂
OMG, That's YOU way up there on that boulder??!?!?!?!
Yep. 😀 xo
These sound so yummy!! I can't wait to try them!!! XO
Thank you, Sarah! Enjoy. 🙂
Ginger is a perfect compliment to sweet potatoes. I'm thinking this may be on our Thanksgiving table instead of the marshmallow style ones.
Thanks, Noel. I do love the marshmallows, though. 😉
jacquee | i sugar coat it!
Talk about comfort food...YUMMMMMMM!
I'm all about comfort food. Enjoy & thank you!. 🙂
Christine | Vermilion Roots
Ginger in mashed potatoes. That's brilliant.
Thanks, Christine! A natural pairing. 🙂
The Hungry Mum
I could eat my body weight in this lovely mash - how delish.
Thank you! 😀
Helen @ family-friends-food.com
Love sweet potatoes, love ginger, this was always going to be a hit with me! I'm sure the butter and cream can't hurt either 🙂
Thank you! Yes, the butter and cream make it even dreamier! 🙂
Wow, rock climbing that is so very cool.
Loving the ginger. Gonna have to up my sweet potato casserole with some.
Thanks, Lisa! Enjoy!
omg ... you are a brave, brave woman! Kudos to you!
And those sweet potatoes? Yes, please! Fall is here, and I adore sweet potatoes this time of year ... putting your version on the to-make list!
Thanks so much, Kimberly! I hope you try and enjoy! 🙂
Really good. The ginger transforms but doesn't dominate the sweet potato flavor.
Thanks, Mike. So happy you liked this one! 🙂 ~Valentina
We have made these potatoes often since the first time. They never get paśe, always fresh and interesting.
Thanks so much Mike! I so appreciate you writing in and I'm so happy you like this recipe. It's such a great side for so many things. Enjoy, and have a great week! 🙂 ~Valentina