When I was a kid, I used to literally sneak avocado chunks out of my salad, into my napkin, and sadly, yes . . . into the trash. Can you believe that!?
If you’ve been keeping up with my blog, you know that these days, I cannot get enough avocados, and I consider them to be a precious culinary treasure. Truly!
I love them any which way! On their own (with a touch of sea salt, of course), in salads and sandwiches, on burgers or chips, in sauces or smoothies . . . and now in butter!
That’s right, today we’re making avocado butter! And no, this is not a beauty product! (Avocados work their way into all sorts of skin care and hair care “butters.”) This, however, is an edible, creamy, rich, flavorful spread full of deliciousness!
Are there foods you hated as a kid, that you love now?
Recipe is below.
- 1 large very (but not over) ripe avocado
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix the avocado with the butter until it's super smooth. I use a hand/immersion blender to do this, but you can also use a food processor or -- with a bit more work -- a fork. Mix in the lemon juice, cumin and salt and season to taste with the pepper.
- You can use the butter at room temperature or you can solidify it in the refrigerator.
And a few more avocado recipes I love. . . .
Avocado Fries with Agave Chipotle Yogurt Dip
Citrus Avocado Salsa with Cilantro Whitefish
Grapefruit Avocado Salad with Pistachios and Blue Cheese
Guacamole with Key Limes and Roasted Corn